Practical English Starter
Practical English Starter is the perfect course for beginners wanting to master basic English and build confidence. And with lessons accessible from any computer or mobile device, finding the time to study has never been so easy!
Master basic English
- 56 lessons. Each lesson takes about 30-45 minutes to complete, for a total of 30-40 hours of study content total in the course.
- Lessons can be taken again and again until the content is mastered and the learner has the confidence to move on.
- Learn and practice 500 high-frequency key words and phrases
- Engaging content: photos, illustrations, audio, etc.
- Listening speeds are 30% slower than higher level courses so that students can get used to distinguishing sounds and build confidence.
- Lessons follow a clear and proven learning cycle, improving skills and confidence step-by-step.
- Immediate feedback on performance.
- Seamless integration across devices: start studying on your computer, continue the lesson on your mobile phone, finish it on your tablet.
- Take the 4 foundation lessons to get comfortable with the alphabet, numbers, etc.
- Move on to the practice lessons. Lessons are arranged in units of 4: reading, grammar, listening, and then speaking, all on the same topic. This keeps topics easy to understand and reinforces the key language.
- Continue studying lessons and completing units until you've completed all 56 lessons.
- Print your course completion certificate.
Requirements to pass the course
Recommended: Pass all 56 lessons (60% or more in each lesson test)
Individuals with a TOEIC® score of 10-250 or equivalent
Recommended: three to six months
"I’m a doctor": talking about jobsGo
4 Foundation Lessons
- What's your surname?
- It's two o'clock
- How much is this, please?
52 Training lessons
- Catch the bus at the bus stop
- Do you like cereal?
- I bought a new phone
- I couldn't speak French when I was a child
- I lived in New York
- I'd like the chicken, please
- I'm working in New York
- I'm… You're…
- My company's products
- My work routine
- There's a nice jacket in the store
- What did you do on Saturday?
- Where are you going to go on vacation?
- I'm a doctor
- How do you get to work?
- How many emails do you write?
- I didn't play basketball
- I like shopping
- I liked my old phone
- It was very hot and sunny
- My birthday's in June
- My husband plays golf
- This is the office
- We went camping last year
- What did you do on the weekend?
- What do you usually eat?
- I'm from Germany
- An international family
- At the mall
- How many people work here?
- I go sightseeing in the city
- I play soccer every week.
- Let's meet at the mall
- Let's order takeout
- Public transport
- The CEO is…
- This is my phone
- What do you have for breakfast?
- When do you go to the gym?
- Introducing yourself
- Are you ready to order?
- Can I help you?
- Can I speak to Mr Smith?
- Can we meet tomorrow?
- Did you clean the house today?
- Do you like your job?
- How long did you work there?
- I really like fast food
- I really need to keep fit
- Please check out before ten o'clock
- Where's the station, please?
- Why don't you go to a museum?
A PC connected to the Internet (1Mbps or higher is recommended).
- Microsoft OS (Windows Vista/7/8.1/10) with Internet Explorer (version 9 or 11 above) or Google Chrome or Firefox (latest versions); Mac OS X (v10.6 or above) with Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari (latest versions).
- Adobe Flash Player (latest version recommended), Adobe Reader (version 5 or above).
Anyone wanting to also study on a mobile device will need an iOS 8.0+ device (iPhone 5 or higher, iPad), or Android 4.4+ device with a screen size of 4" or more (the size of an iPhone5).